STAR Transit is a public bus transportation service, offering bus transportation in Kaufman County, Rockwall County, Mesquite, Balch Springs, Seagoville, Hutchins and DeSoto. Anyone residing in our Service Area may ride STAR Transit. Destinations could include job locations, educational facilities, non-emergency medical appointments, senior centers, and career-training facilities. We can take you to run errands and to visit friends as well.
STAR Transit’s history began in May 1980 when Kaufman County Senior Citizens Services, Inc. began providing aging and transportation services to Kaufman County.
- 1988: Began operating as Kaufman Area Rural Transit (KART)
- 2005: KART began providing public transportation to Rockwall County
- 2009: Began services to Medicaid clients in Ellis and Navarro County
- 2011: KART officially became STAR Transit
- 2012: STAR Transit launched a fixed route in Kaufman
- 2013: STAR Transit’s service area expanded to the city of Seagoville
- May 2014: STAR Transit’s service area expanded to the city of Balch Springs
- Oct 2014: STAR Transit began providing public transportation in Mesquite
- Jan 2015: STAR Transit began operating DART Express Bus Route 282 (COMPASS)
- June 2015: Launched the Balch Springs Midtown Express Bus Route
- Aug 2016: Launched the Seagoville Express Bus Route
- Feb 2017: Launched Hutchins Shuttle
- Nov 2017: Implemented new fare structure
- Dec 2017: Launched The Link, Terrell Bus Routes 803 and 804
- April 2018: Launched DeSoto Demand Response and Bus Route 501
- November 2019: Launched STARNow App/Same Day Service in Mesquite & Terrell
- September 2020: Launched STARNow App/Same Day Service in Balch Springs & Kaufman
- October 2021: Launched STARNow App/Same Day Service in Seagoville
- December 2021: Launched STARNow App/Same Day Service in DeSoto
STAR Transit is a political sub-division of the state of Texas and provides over 235,000 rides per year. STAR Transit services are provided with a fleet of 55 vehicles which are all ADA-compliant.
STAR Transit’s vision is to expand mobility services that meet people’s needs, support community connections, and boost economic opportunities through innovative and sustainable solutions.
STAR Transit’s mission is to provide people with safe, affordable, convenient, and desirable mobility options to enrich quality of life by connecting all to services and opportunities.
OUR CORE VALUES:
STAR Transit’s top priority is safety, and we ensure the safety and security of our riders, employees, partners, and broader community through ongoing:
- Employee training,
- Rider education, and
- Equipment and workspace maintenance.
We strive to exceed basic standards and guidelines. Our extensive safety measures are formed by the industry’s most current data, best practices, and expert recommendations.
STAR Transit prioritizes people─our riders, employees, partners, and the broader community. We put people first by demonstrating inclusivity and compassion.
STAR Transit is dependable. Our riders, employees, partners, and the broader community trust us. We are transparent and timely.
STAR Transit values ingenuity and creativity. We believe innovation, flexibility, and, ultimately, agility, have the power to solve today’s mobility challenges and to prepare for tomorrow’s opportunities.
STAR Transit values the exemplary leadership, integrity, and initiative of our employees, our Board of Directors, and our partners.
AWARDS, RECOGNITION & CERTIFICATIONS:
Texas Transit Association—2019—Outstanding Rural Transit System
Texas Transit Association—2019—Rising Star Award—Tommy Henricks
LogistiCare (Medicaid Transportation) – Provider of the Year 2017
Seagoville Chamber of Commerce – Business of the Year 2017
Balch Springs Chamber of Commerce — 2016 Medium Business of the Year
Texas Transit Association—2012—Outstanding Rural Transit System
Texas Chamber of Commerce Executives—2011—Best new Chamber of Commerce program in Texas Economic Development Award (Kaufman Trolley)
Lone Star Award—Best Grassroots Education Campaign—Omega Hawkins
CTTA—Certified Safety & Security Officer Certification—Valerie Ashurst